Monday, November 14, 2011

Bloomington Community Orchard (Sustainability-Related Event #3)


This weekend I attended the Bloomington Community Orchard's first-ever Cider Fest extravaganza! The event was a great success, filled with cider making (and tasting), face painting, wassailing, hammer dulcimer playing, and all-around good cheer. I helped greet people as they entered the orchard, collected donations, and passed out maps and information about the orchard to those who were interested.


I had gone to the initial meetings at City Hall when the orchard was just getting started, and worked at Collins LLC to get people voting daily in the Edy's Plant a Tree competition, but it wasn't until this weekend that I actually have made it out to the orchard in person. I was so impressed with what it has become, and definitely want to be involved in the future in more of the hands-on work (weeding, composting, watering, and planting)! For those who would also like to get involved, the next orchard work day is on Sunday, November 20th (details can be found here). Kudos to Amy Countryman for beginning such an amazing project that ties together care for the environment, community, and social justice all in one marvelous place!

No comments:

Post a Comment