Thursday, December 15, 2011

Personal Reflections on the Semester in "Sustainable Communities"

Bill and Reen,

I am so glad that I had the opportunity to take this course this semester. I have taken sustainability and permaculture courses in the past, as well as read many articles on sustainability issues, but I think that this class did an exceptional job of tying together the importance of community involvement and fostering sustainable behaviors within our communities in a way that no other course or article has done for me. The group and personal projects were wonderful tools for us to learn hands-on about what it takes to engage your community members and implement sustainable changes that will have great impact, both on our personal lives and on the community as a whole.

I thoroughly enjoyed the readings that we used this semester, and feel that they are texts that I will return to again and again in the future. I also grew to like the blogging process that accompanied the readings. I think that there is great value in having to synthesize your thoughts on a topic that you have just read an article about; it continues to amaze me at all of the different directions you can take your thought processes that are spawned from a single topic (my peers' excellent blogs are evidence of this).

Thank you for a great semester!

~Rachel

1 comment:

  1. Great to have you as part of our class teaching and learning team! Even better to have you continue making change as a sustainability intern!

    Some students understand sustainability at an intellectual level. You feel it and live it. I have hope for the future.

    Cheers!

    Bill

    ReplyDelete